Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Meeting Willow for the first time...









I am going to bye pass Sunday's activities and come back to that later. Let's talk about the best part of this trip, meeting Willow for the first time.




It is now officially 24 hrs. since we met Willow and I am here to tell you she is amazing!




Let me start at the beginning, it is Monday morning and Paul and I did our usual morning thing. Wake up, get ready, go to breakfast and back to the room. Fion was due to pick us up at 11:30am to head to Taichung. It is about a 2 hr. drive on the freeway. The views of the thick green mountains were beautiful. I did my best to ask Fion all of the questions that started to pile up in my head since we have been in Taiwan. I was determined to keep conversation going. For those who know me well, I am a talker and find it challenging to stay awake in a moving car with no conversation. Things started to get quiet as we got closer to TWCA (Program III). Before we arrived Fion let us know that we would not be meeting the birth Mom. On one hand I was sad because I wanted the opportunity to meet her for Willow and on the other hand I felt far less stressed about the whole process.



When we arrived at TWCA we picked up Charidy (sp?) the representative for program III. She was very sweet. Then we headed over to the foster families home. It was a very short drive. We parked in an underground parking garage and headed up a flight of stairs. It looked like they lived in an apartment complex. The courtyard was beautiful! Fion and Charidy knocked on the door and the foster Mom, Mrs. Chang, opened the door. We all walked in and sat on the couch. That was if for me. I had not even seen Willow yet and I was already welling up. Mrs. Chang went to another room to let her daughter know we were there. She walked out of the room with Willow and brought her right to me. She put her in my arms and I lost it. Willow just looked up at me and I was in heaven. The tears just seemed to flow down my face with happiness and a sense of peace. I hugged her and kissed under her cheeks and she keep smiling and looking at us. I handed her to Paul and she just stared into Paul's blue eyes. That was it, Paul was smitten. It was so cute. Willow gets a kick out of him. He makes her laugh with ease. Then Paul handed her back to me and we asked the Mrs. Chang our questions. Over all she said that Willow is a good baby. Fion and Charidy were taking pictures like mad. The flash was going off left and right. It was so funny! My camera just sat on the table. I asked if Fion would take some pictures with my camera and she said she would give me copies of the ones she took. I was so happy to hear that because they were getting great shots.



We then took a picture with Mrs. Chang and her daughter. They said goodbye to Willow and I reached out to give them a hug. They didn't quit get what I was doing but that is okay. For me thank you and a hug was just not enough for the love and care they had provided Willow with for the past 6 months. We then left and went back to TWCA to get all of Willow's belongings and the paperwork needed for AIT tomorrow. Program III provided us with a sheet of paper with some details about her care (eating, sleeping, likes etc..). Then we left and were off to the Baby Store right down the street. We bought formula, rice cereal, a cute pair of shoes she can wear when she gets bigger, rice crackers and that's about it. Then we were headed back to Taipei.



Fion drove for 2 hrs and we didn't say one word to her. Paul, Willow and I sat in the back seat and just enjoyed every second of each other. Fion did give us the option to put her in a car seat and I opted not to. I just didn't want to let her go. Paul would hold her, then I would hold her, then back to Paul and back to me. It was like this for two hours. We had her laughing and smiling and cooing. I don't think I will ever forget it. Our hearts were over flowing with love and adoration after just a few moments. We were already in love with a picture of Willow and a dream of being with her, but to hold her in our arms, look directly into her eye and kiss her little cheeks. Wow, truly a blessing and dream come true!



After arriving back at the hotel, Paul and Fion filled out paperwork for AIT and I worked on feeding Willow. As I would give Willow the bottle the formula would just poor out of her mouth. All I can say is good thing I brought bottles from home because the hole in the nipple of the bottle was huge and it pored out faster then she could drink it. After Fion left I changed bottles and she has been eating well and very efficient. She is drinking about 5 to 6 oz. every 4 hrs. It is a combination of formula and rice cereal. She takes 2 to 3 naps a day. So far today it has been two naps. She falls asleep on her own. She is a thumb sucker so she does not need a pacifier. Yeah! She is very lovable. We gave her a bottle last night at 9:00pm and we all went to sleep. She woke up at 4:00am for a bottle, we were up with her for a short time and then back to sleep she went until 8:00am. When she gets tired she is really quiet and will actually whimper a bit. She just wants to be laid down with a blanket, her bunny and she starts to suck her thumb. Boom she is out in 2 min. Each time this happens I look to the sky and thank God for small blessings. She currently does not have any teeth, but she is drooling like crazy. I am thinking that something will be happening soon.
Okay, off to play with Willow. She just work up from her 2nd nap and Daddy is feeding her. We went to do laundry between naps and will probably go for a little walk to the store around the corner for a few things. She likes going out and looking around.
Hope everyone is going well!
Hugs,
Andrea

8 comments:

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Oh Andrea, the pictures of Willow are so great! She is one of the cutest babies I have ever laid eyes on and the fact that she is adjusting so beautifully is a wonderful blessing. Congratulations to you and Paul and Luc! How wonderful. Thanks so much for your posts. Sarah = )

Anne Marie said...

Oh, Andrea!!!!! Willow is even more beautiful than she was before!!! And she has really filled out!! I can see that both of you are smitten -- you are positively beaming, and the first picture of Paul with Willow is TOO CUTE! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing. I too think she is the most adorable little girl and I am sure she is even more adorable in person :-) The boys can't wait to meet her! Me too! Me too! Congratulations! All three of you look so happy and so TOGETHER! I can tell from the photos that Paul is smitten... that it too too sweet. Many blessings!

Ching said...

Andrea, Willow is beautiful and it looks like she's really taken to you two!! :) OMG, Emma and Willow had the same foster mother and should have been there at the same time!! We'll have to get them together and see if they know each other!!!

Casey said...

Andrea, Your words were written so beautifully. Willow is so precious. She looks so perfect in your arms. It is obvious in the pictures that you both were MEANT to be her parents.

Have a safe trip back home. Congrats on finally having your daughter in your arms.
Casey

Nicole said...

So happy for you-she's adorable! Congrats!!!
nicole

Anonymous said...

Words are so insignificant right now...It's like she's always been with you. Looks like she's a lot more rested than the 2 of you. LOLOL So glad you're enjoying and appreciating each moment. You'll always remember!
Love...Sue

M and M Girls said...

she is so cute. Congratulations!
Diane
Mommy to
The M&M Girls

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!
Willow's camera smile.